Downsides of Metal Playsets
When we were young, metal playsets and swing sets were the standard. Not only could you find them in the local park, but they dotted backyards and neighborhoods across America. Today, though, they’ve fallen out of favor in a big way.
Instead, kids and parents alike are loving the look and quality of vinyl playsets — and it isn’t a challenge to see why. If you’re considering a metal swing set or you’re still doing your research, make sure you know the variety of downsides that caused metal playsets to fall out of popularity.
5 Reasons We Don’t See Metal Swing Sets Anymore
Parents have moved on from metal swing sets for numerous reasons, including how the sets look in their yards and that they’re not the safest options for their kids. These are the 5 main reasons metal swing sets just aren’t being bought any longer.
- Rust — Chances are if you catch a glimpse of a metal playset nowadays, it’ll be covered in rust. Full metal sets are certain to develop rust at some point, making this one of the primary factors that keeps these sets out of backyards today. Not only is the rust unsightly from a distance, but kids tend to get it all over their hands and clothes while playing.
- Hot to the Touch — Playing outside is fun year round, but the summer is prime-time for outdoor fun. In the hot summer sun, metal sets can become EXTREMELY hot to the touch. This can cause young hands unexpected pain and discomfort when playing outside. Learn more about what makes the safest swing sets for kids.
- No Specialty or Custom Touches — Your kids, and how they like to play outside, are totally unique. That’s why Adventure World Play Sets makes custom sets and custom add-ons a specialty of ours, including rock walls, ice cream stands, and playhouses. While vinyl sets are always able to be outfitted with extras, the simple frames of metal playsets don’t allow that kind of customization. Ultimately, the lack of exciting features is one of the main reasons kids and parents are moving on from metal playsets. Design a custom set using our 3D design center.
- Paint Chips — The bright colors of both metal and vinyl swing sets are what make a play set so appealing to children. However, vinyl sets keep their color — while metal sets tend to lose it. Metal play sets get their vibrant colors from paint, which chips off quickly. Not only will the set lose its luster, but most parents aren’t too keen on their kids coming inside covered in paint chips. See ALL of your play set color options.
- Overall Less Safe — For parents, it’s always safety first. Simply put, vinyl is just a safer material for children. Not only does a vinyl set never chip, rust, or get too hot, it also is a safer material to play on. Metal is hard, while our vinyl sets are softer on the surface and extremely sturdy thanks to their timber frames. This can make a world of difference if a child were to accidentally run into the set during high-energy outdoor play.
Metal sets were once the gold standard, but that was a long time ago. The safer, more exciting, more stylish vinyl sets that last a lifetime are taking all the headlines in the 21st century.
The Advantages of Vinyl Sets
Not only do vinyl swing sets fare better in comparison to metal ones, but there are a whole host of other reasons to choose vinyl when shopping for your kids’ new play set.
Vinyl play sets and swing sets are essentially maintenance-free outdoor equipment that last a lifetime. You’ll never have to repaint, stain — or re-stain, seal — or re-seal, a vinyl play set. On top of that, you can easily expect your set to last long enough to not only thrill your own kids, but your grandkids as well! In addition, the ultra-colorful look and the custom options are guaranteed to get your kids up off the couch and playing outside. Parents love the maintenance-free convenience while kids love the one-of-a-kind look.
Learn more about average vinyl and wooden play set lifespans.
If you’re ready to start shopping for your deluxe vinyl play set from Adventure World Play Sets, you’re in the right place. We exclusively sell our products through a hand-picked nationwide dealer network. Your local dealer will be able to help you pick or design the perfect set for your kids — and they’ll handle the installation.
Enter your zip code to find your nearest dealer — and to start shopping for the perfect play set today!